Viktor Lemken celebrates his 85th birthday
On 24 September 1938, Viktor Lemken was born in Rheinberg as the second-born son of Katharina and Viktor Lemken. Having been chosen at an early age to take over the business one day, Viktor Lemken discovered his love of technology while still at a boarding grammar school in Lüdinghausen, Germany. He still describes himself today as a “technician with all his heart”.
In 1966, Viktor Lemken became the sixth generation of family to join the company, which was founded in 1780. He worked in marketing and human resources and looked after investments until fate intervened in 1969, when his father died of cancer. Having had only three years to familiarise himself with the business, Viktor Lemken became Managing Director of LEMKEN. At the time, the company already employed 230 people at its headquarters in Alpen on the Lower Rhine. Viktor Lemken was supported by a technical and a commercial manager each, who took care of the day-to-day business. This allowed the young company owner to concentrate on specialist topics and the registration of patents.
„Not having a job is bad. Not having an education is much worse.“
Active in the company for 55 years: the milestones
- Advantage through technology has always been the philosophy that is reflected today in the company's mission statement "The Agrovision Company".
- In 1980, the OptiQuick adjustment system was the patented product feature that ultimately gave the family-owned company its breakthrough in the industry and made it the market leader for plows.
- Together with the two successful expansions of the product range - in 1996 to include seeding technology and in 2005 with the entry into crop protection technology - Viktor Lemken set the course for above-average and consistent company growth, despite all the economic waves...
- The training and further education of the next generation of specialists, also beyond the requirements, was particularly close to the jubilarian's heart. For this, Viktor Lemken was awarded the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany by President Horst Köhler on October 4, 2004.
- The sustainable further development of the family business LEMKEN has been prepared for a long time: Today, his daughter Nicola Lemken is involved in the company as a member of the management and shareholder in the seventh generation.
LEMKEN is now one of the leading companies in the industry in Germany, Europe and the world. With currently more than 2,000 employees worldwide, the company recently generated sales of 559 million euros, 80 percent of which were generated in the more than 50 markets abroad. Viktor Lemken has played a major role in shaping and influencing this positive corporate development over a period of more than 50 years.